Friday, March 30, 2012

Baby Boy

Hey all! I just had to post this real quick! I just delivered my first Sierra Leone baby. Mom (Kunku) went into labor at around midnight. She has had four other children, without any difficulties, and all of them quick deliveries. I figured this one would be a good one for my first run, since it would probably be a walk in the park...WRONG! I was really scared, even of a normal delivery, as I don't have any experience other than labor coaching and observing in nursing school... and I felt woefully inadequate as I walked to her house in the moonlight. After all, it is two lives at stake... not a good place for amateurs. Prayer was, as always... my only option...and it went something like this.
"Dear God, PLEASE don't let me kill anyone!"
As time went on, Kunku and the women with her became anxious, as she had always delivered quickly in the past. Each time I examined her, it seemed that the baby was still high, albeit progressing slowly. I had a hard time figuring the baby's position for sure, as Kunku is a large woman, her uterus was not relaxing well...AND I have very little experience. Eventually, I called my good friends, Sarah (SJRMC Pediatrics) and Ruth (SJRMC OB), who gave me good advice. I am happy to report that the assistance of these two ladies really paid off and at about 9:00 am Kunku delivered a VERY large baby boy (for Africa anyway) with his cord wrapped around his neck...and he was facing the wrong way. Thank you Sarah and Ruth... and God, without whom nothing is possible. Two of the bible school women were also present and did a fantastic job helping Kunku and helping me. I am SO grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment