Sunday, October 14, 2012

Do you remember the nursery rhyme that we learned in childhood, the one that ended with "...and all in the house that Jack built." ?  One thing just lead to another in the house that Jack built. I have felt an odd sort of affinity with Jack recently.  A series of events has occurred which, had I known what was coming I would have felt quite intimidated, but God in his loving kindness, allowed me to take one step at a time. 
   It all started with one man...the chief's uncle, who had a two month old wound on his foot that would not heal.  He came to me one morning asking for help.  I was happy to help him, but felt a little nervous, him being in the paramount chief's family and all.  Since he could not walk well, I went to his house every day to assess the wound, clean it, and apply a dressing.  The wound was quite large and deep and I was sure that it would take several months for it to close.  This meant paying for a honda taxi everyday to go and come... and I wasn't sure where the money was going to come from.  I kept telling myself that after a few weeks I would be able to cut back to every other day and train family members to change the dressing.
   God is good.  Mr. Balansama's foot healed at record speeds that were amazing to me.  The wound generally shrank by 1 to 2 mm each way, every day.  AMAZING!  On top of that, I have gotten to be good friends with Mr. Balansama and his family.  In fact,he and his family have now given me a Kuranko name... they named me after his mother.  And, if I pass by that side of town and don't stop by to say hello, I get in a little bit of trouble. :)  As his foot began to heal, other patients began to appear on his front porch to be seen, usually 2 or three new ones each day;  his younger brother, with high blood pressure and kidney problems, his wife with a stomach ulcer, and many others.  When his foot was well, and I was ready to sign off on his case... he asked me to see his neighbor, the Fula Paramount Chief for Koinadugu District.  In no time, I was also seeing every one in his family who was not well.
    I did NOT see that one coming.  So now, I see two or three patients a day at the Fula Cheif's house, and two or three patients at the Koranko chief's uncle's house.  In addition to that, going into town each day (now every other day) has led me to form a friendship with my Okada driver (honda taxi) who is a Fula (fulani) by tribe also.  I have had the priveledge of getting to know his family as well and am now trying to learn a little Fula along with my Kuranko ( yes, I do mix them up some days).  A 12-year old girl in the Okada drivers house was not feeling well, so she was warming herself by the fire one morning and her lapa (skirt) caught fire, burning the full length of her outer thigh up on to her buttocks.  This poor child has allowed me to clean her burn, change her dressing each day, and even pull off the dead skin without ever crying out or even shedding a tear.  She has been so very brave.
   Had I known when I started, where this would lead me, I would have probably stayed home... after all, I am not exactly twiddling my thumbs in between homeschooling, teaching the Bible School students, preparing a clinic, and having one-on-one bible studies in addition to running the home.  However, I have gained a lot of experience in treating different illnesses, some of them a little daunting.  I have also gotten practice in trusting God through this.  He has provided every day for the honda taxi... a lot of times it was close, but He provided.  He has blessed the medicines that I have given to make them successful.  And, I have been reminded every day that "..He has prepared, in advance, good works for us to do..."  and "...He who called you is faithful and HE will do it."  It's pretty cool, because all I have to do is just be faithful to show up... and I get a front row seat to the miracles.  Is my Dad (heavenly Father) cool, or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment