Friday, December 7, 2012



One of the advantages of growing up as a “bush missionary’s kid” was that I got to drive a big truck at a very young age…similar to many of you who grew up on the farm or in rural areas of the States.  I used to absolutely LOVE it when Dad would say “Hey Faith, you want to drive?”  As if I would say NO… are you kidding?
I remember being very young the first time that he did it… maybe 6 or so… I am not sure of the age. He would set me in his lap, put my hands on the steering wheel, and let me “drive” our big old 4-wheel-drive truck.  There is nothing like it…that feeling…I couldn’t get enough of it.  Do you remember that feeling?  I thought I was big stuff then.
            The reality of it was that I was not really driving at all.  Oh, my hands were on the steering wheel and I was turning it, but Dad’s knee was really steering so that I would not get myself into trouble.  His foot operated the brake, gas, and clutch…especially since mine had about 2 feet to grow before there was even contact with the pedals, much less control.
            That is how I feel being here in Sierra Leone.  God is steering.  He doesn’t really need me...but He wants me along.  Just for the fun of it, He lets me “steer” (see patients, diagnose them, and give them medications), but make no mistake, if it were really ME steering we would have crashed and burned a long time ago.  The difference is that now I am grown up enough (at least for the moment) to know that I am not really steering… I am just having a great time working with my “Dad”…my Abba.
            Here is one example.  On November 27, I had a patient named Balu come to see me.  She is family of one of our staff here at the Bible School and has been seriously sick for over a month.  There is presently no nurse available near her home 70+ miles from here, so she and her mother scraped together enough money to come here to try and get medical help.  In fact, she was so ill, that a nurse that came to their village had to give her IV fluids in order to get her well enough to travel.  Balu is about 5 foot 6 or 7 inches, and when I assessed her, she weighed 90.6 pounds.  As I listened to her history and assessed her I (as usual) found myself praying, “Please Lord, show me what to do”.  I don’t have any lab testing materials, but I thought maybe I had found the source of the problem.  Got her started on the Medications that I was able to find that were appropriate, instructed them on how to feed her so that she could rebuild, and we prayed together.
            Yesterday (December 7) after 7 days of treatment, I reweighed her.  She weighs 106 pounds.  She has gained 16 pounds in 7 days.  In fact, after just two days of treatment, she was up and walking around, and after three days, started doing little jobs around the house.  It sure seems miraculous to me, especially when you consider that one of the medicines that I had her taking was a hefty dose of Flagyl.  If you have ever taken Flagyl, you know that it is very unpleasant.  Everything tastes like aluminum foil, and your stomach is upset and queasy most of the time.  There is some debate among Flagyl takers as to whether or not it is better to just stay sick. J
            I am so blessed to have a daily front row seat, on the lap of my heavenly Dad, to the miracles that He does in the lives of the people around me.  To those of you who support us, in finances and in prayer… Thank you…from all of us here in Sierra Leone.

2 comments:

  1. Faith so excited to know you are well, first of all, and to hear God's story through your voice! HE is driving and boy the view from your window is amazing! So glad you are there ... God loves his people everywhere! And you've been selected! Not without fire and challenge, but with God's grace to go along! Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping you are all still well physically, mentally and emotionally. Thinking of you. Keslers

    ReplyDelete