Thursday, December 16, 2010

Good news! Sheku and his dad returned from Makeni and they were told that he just has a severe case of malaria, probably recurrent malaria. They returned with medicines and hopefully he can get well now. Praise God!
We are attempting our Christmas cookies today. It is a hot job over a fire and three stones, and we can only cook about 8 cookies at a time, but boy are we going to enjoy them. We took some pictures are we are going to try to post them on facebook somehow.
Roy and Earl went to Freetown for a few days to stock us up on groceries and to do our Christmas shopping. Our wish list mostly consists of chocolate!!! It's funny how much better things taste when you never have them. It sure teaches you to enjoy the little things. When I start to wish for certain items, or any easier way to do something, I just look around and see everyone else with so much less than I. I see how people here struggle just to have the basic things that we consider neccessities, or perhaps don't consider at all because they are always available to us - and I am humbled. So, today praise God for how He has blessed us in America, and remember that the easy life is not necessary for happiness - God is.

3 comments:

  1. I am sending you snowflakes * * * *! I love reading your stories and am humbled too as I find I complain when I have to drive (my heated car)to go back to the store (that has everything I would ever need and more - including chocolate) in the middle of baking my cookies (in my oven) for something I forgot!!! I need to focus on how blessed I am! Love & miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am humbled today. So often I find myself complaining about things that really are a blessing. Your testimony shines bright across the ocean. Thank you for reminding me of all the blessing that I am surround by and to not base my happiness on the conveniences of life but on God's inconvenience of providing eternal life for me. Enjoy your Christmas cookies!
    Love, Vonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joining the gals in being reminded that making cookies with an oven is a blessing! BUT I have a feeling that there is a whole lot more joy in making them the way you did! Each cookie is a treasure!

    Good to read your posts, Faith...I'm missing you! But what a joy to be in touch as you teach us from over there!

    Hopefully Andy has received his cookies by now...

    p

    ReplyDelete