Thursday, December 2, 2010

Yesterday I had a really neat experience. We do not have running water in the sense that the USA refers to. I like to say that we do: we run to the well, the water runs down your leg on the way back from the well, and the water runs out of the bucket when you tip it over. I guess it is a matter of perspective, eh? Anyhow, the kids have been having difficulties washing their hands because it is hard for them to simutaneously pour from a bucket and wash their hands at the same time. In one of my community health books there is a description of a "tippy-tap", which is a large bottle or gourd that can be suspended from a tree. A small hole is put on one side near the bottom, and the tube of a ball point pen is inserted. It can then be filled with water and as long as the cap is on securely, the water will not come out. A person can loosen the cap, allowing air in to replace the water, and the water will stream from the pen tube. One can then wash their hands, then tighten the lid to turn the water back off. SO, I made one for our bathroom so that the kids can easily wash their hands. Several of the Bible School men were on the verandah while I was making it. One of them was teasing me about being a blacksmith, because I used a hot wire, which I had heated in the coals of the outdoor fire, to make the hole in the plastic water bottle. When I finished, I took it out to show them. Several of them were amazed and asked for an explanation of how it works. I did my best to explain it in Krio, which is rusty to say the least. They understood though, and eagerly asked if I had another plastic bottle so that they could go make one at home themselves. Praise God for the brain of the person who thought of such an innovative solution. We will see what tomorrow brings.

1 comment: