Tuesday, December 14, 2010

In the past few days I have treated several people for infections on legs or hands. It is so hard to not be able to do much since I have no medications and no license. It is like watching an accident happen in front of you, with no way to stop it. However, I have been able to liberally dispense antibiotic ointment, bandaids, and advice (such as it is). I sent my little friend Sheku to Makeni for treatment. I suspect that he either has sickle cell disease or recurrent malaria. Either way, he has been sick off and on for over 3 years and sometimes doesn't go a month between episodes. I am really concerned about him, so please pray. His mom is very diligent and worries a great deal about him, so I hope that this will bring them some answers.
We are preparing for Christmas in a rather non-traditional way. It is hard to get the feeling of the season when it is 90 degrees, you can't play Christmas music, and nothing seems any different than any other day. We were blessed to find a small tree in the belongings we bought from another missionary so we are enjoying that. We have also figured out how to expand our cooking repetoire. I have now made banana bread, no-bakes, and brownies over a camp fire. Christmas cookies are my next attempt, so wish me luck. Think of me as you slid your cookie tray into an oven that you turned on with a flick of your wrist and I will think of you as I dress in a tee-shirt every day!:)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I would say you are quite talented when you can make no bakes, brownies and banana bread over a campfire. Would love to hear how the Christmas cookies turn out! I will think of you Saturday as I have a bunch of the youth girls over to make Christmas cookies....could be more of a challenge than making them over a campfire!!!! just kidding, LOL

    ReplyDelete