Thursday, July 28, 2011

I have been thinking lately of balance. Life, especially the christian life is all about finding the balance between different things. I have really been feeling this lately as I endeavor to find the balance between helping and creating a dependency, speaking up and staying quiet, giving what you have freely to help others versus saving for the 'rainy day" that is sure to come. This is a challenge anywhere you are and in any walk of life, but I am finding that the pull between the two oppositional forces becomes much stronger and more apparent when you are placed in a different culture. For example, in your own culture and among your own peers, you are free to pick friends to whom you relate more closely than others. In ministry and missions, you have to balance that with being careful not to play favorites. It is often difficult to see the line between cultural differences and what is right or wrong. It reminds me of walking a tightrope, and while I can handle just about anything, heights is NOT one of them. I was pondering this whole subject and feeling the pressure of it as I read Ecclesiastes..."there is a time and a place for everything under the sun..." when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I AM walking a tightrope, and if I were doing it in my own strength I would have long since been an unsightly pancake of failure on rocks below...but I am NOT. I have a harness that, through prayer, is attached to something much stronger than I, who is above me, and is "able to keep me from falling". WOW!!! I feel so free now. I don't have to worry about being a little to the left or to the right, He will take care of me and can nudge or YANK (depending on my error) me back onto the fine line of balance. That is just SO COOL! I hope I can remember this tomorrow when I wake up...

4 comments:

  1. Were you able to hold on to it for the next day? It is hard to hold on to revelations amongst daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I am ashamed to say that I promptly forgot. I woke up the next day and allowed the foolishness of others to derail me. :( However, your comment has helped remind me - and I needed that. THANK YOU! I'll get back to my balance act while relying on my "lifeline" instead of myself. God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont forget, Jesus had "favorites"...i agree care needs to be taken with relationships, but Christ set us an example. He had 12 favorites, and among those, 3. hopefully this is a freeing notion to you. but as you say, prepare for a "nudge or yank" from your Papa to keep you on track!!

    ReplyDelete