Thursday, June 30, 2011

We just got word that my grandma - my dad's mother- passed away this evening. Obviously, we are sad, but we can't be too sad because she has been waiting for the Lord to allow her to go to heaven for some time now. My grandparents, as some of you know, were missionaries in Nigeria for 43 years and my grandfather passed away about 2 years ago. She has been growing steadily weaker ever since that time and has been wishing to go to join her husband and her Heavenly Father. Well, she got her wish today. I can't help but wish that I could be there to see the resulting party. I am fairly sure that there is some serious Nigerian worship going on right now in the presence of God. What joy she must be having, hearing the words "Well done, good and faithful servant" and meeting all of the people who are in heaven because of her work and her witness! I just can't stay sad for very long when I think about it. The kids were tearful, but then we started to talk about the party that was going on in heaven. Later that night, as we were going to bed, lightening was flashing on the horizon. Abby said to me, "Look mom, the party in heaven is still going on, those are disco lights". Abby has never been to a disco, and I would be willing to bet that neither has grandma, but the idea of the joy of heaven is great to think about. The temporary here and now WILL someday be worth it all - let's take as many people along as possible. After all, it may "only take two to party" but "the more the merrier"- and heavens parties are beyond our wildest dreams.
Grandma (Gladys Marie Reifel), we love you, we miss you, you meant more to us than we can ever express, and... save me a place, I would be honored to sit next to you in worship in the Holy of Holies. Until then I will do my best to carry on your legacy, in His strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment