Sunday, September 11, 2011

Got home late yesterday evening from a 5 day trip to Freetown. We had only planned on 3 days, but that's just the way that it goes. I am very happy to report that I have an actual nursing license in my hand - I am now a registered and licensed nurse in Sierra Leone!!! Praise GOD! My license is good for a laugh though. My photo lacks the line-up, deer-in-the-headlights look that is so typical of drivers licenses. However, I have compensated for that by having a "christmas ornament" look... you know the one that occurs when you try to take a head shot from about a foot away. Anyway, I think it still looks enough like me to be recognizable. :)
We were also able to get Roy in to see a Doctor, and his hemoglobin is 10.2. He had been taking iron tablets for a week prior to the lab test, so I shudder to think what his hemoglobin may have been when he was just finishing his bout with malaria. It definitely explains his tiredness. I was fairly certain that the problem was a low hemoglobin, but it was helpful to know for sure that there were no other factors involved. We were able to stock up on groceries and even found CHOCOLATE CHIPS!!!! I was SO excited! I also was able to find some more cheese and some applesauce, so we are going to live high on the hog over the next month!
Richard and Paula Miller and their 2 girls, Faith and Grace, graciously allowed us to stay at their home for the days that we were in Freetown. We were so blessed to sit and talk with them. It was a blessing financially that we did not have to pay for a resthouse, but more than that, I found that the fellowship of other missionaries really had been something I was hungry for. It was such a pleasure to laugh together at life and it's mysteries and at the blessings and burdens of ministry. In addition to that, their responses were always that of prayer and scripture, but not in a preachy way, just a down to earth, God-is-big-enough sort of way. One of the things about the body of Christ is that we all have different roles and gifts, which is taught often enough that you are probably saying "well, yeah... duh". But too often, even though we buy into that belief, we are discontented with our own gifts and long to do something bigger or more important. Richard and Paula have a really neat work that they are doing as missionaries, and they are very effective, but even if they weren't... just encouraging and praying for someone else who is in ministry is VERY important. Not only that, but they fed us like kings, making meat for Roy since we had not had any in a month. That is a BIG deal.
So many of you have said to me at different times that you "couldn't do what I am doing" but you shouldn't. I am PROFOUNDLY grateful to those of you who pray for us and support us and encourage us. You faithfully doing what God calls you to do PLUS me doing what God has called me to do EQUALS the body of Christ, working to build His kingdom. One part of the body is not more important or more significant. We tend to think so, but our perspective is skewed just like my nursing license photo. Just because my nose LOOKS excessively large and prominent, doesn't mean that it actually is... thank God! :) In God's accurate view, we are all equal in significance and importance.
We are back in Kabala now, and though I know that things will not be easy (why would they start now?) I have a renewed hope in the fact that I am not alone. I am a part (doesn't matter which part) of a body of believers who are working to build God's kingdom and He is in control. WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment