Monday, September 12, 2011

The "non-drivers side"

On one of my many trips to the nursing registrars office, I had a unique experience. As many of you know, parts of the world drive on the left-hand side of the road and in those countries, the cars have the steering wheel on the right side. Many of those vehicles end up in Sierra Leone. We drive on the right-hand side of the road here, but there are left-hand and right-hand vehicles throughout the country. My taxi on this particular trip was a right-hand drive car and I ended up in the front passenger seat. Now, I am not generally a back seat driver, nor am I one to have a white-knuckled grip on the door handle and a foot through the floor...BUT... riding in the left-hand front passenger seat on the right-hand side of the road is a truly disconcerting experience. Your entire body is screaming at you that you are the driver, but there is no steering wheel and no brakes. On top of that, imagine the craziest driver you have ever known.... well, suffice it to say that traffic laws are more of a suggestion here. It was definitely... um... an adventure.
Let me switch tracks for a minute. I have my nursing license now after 9 months of waiting and multiple trips to Freetown. I am so excited... and TERRIFIED. Suddenly I realize how utterly inept I am and how little I know. It would be so much easier to just not do it, then there is no risk of getting it wrong, making a mistake, misdiagnosing someone, or having to watch someone die simply because the needed procedure or medicine is not available. According to me, at this point, anyone could do it better.
So often in scripture we see that God uses the little guy, like David, the one is who is not qualified and the least expected. We comfort ourselves with this thought, that God can still use us even though we are not the most likely candidate. But many of us, once God actually calls on us to do something big, act more like Moses. We say, "but, God I am really not so good at speaking in front of people..." The very thing that we find comforting when we want to be used, becomes terrifying when He actually starts to use us... a lot like the left front passenger seat on a right sided road... God is driving, but we would be a lot more comfortable if it were all in OUR control... and more in our comfort zone, if there were not so many risks and so much at stake.

It all comes down to trust...

Do I (and you too) trust God enough to be capable of using the weak and underqualified even when the weak and underqualified is me (or you)?
The answer should be yes, and I am praying that God will help my answer to be yes.
Beware...
if you say yes,
you are in for a wild ride and there is not telling what God can do... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment