Thursday, October 13, 2011

Blind to blessings

I have been thinking a lot about blessings. I walked back in to see the woman whose arm and leg were broken when the tree fell on her. I have not been able to see her for sometime since it is not safe for me to go alone and everyone is busy on their farms right now. Now, the people here laugh at the "white man" because we walk quickly everywhere, but I am here to tell you that although they look as if they are walking at a leisurely pace, it is not easy to keep up. They really move quickly.
As I was following my companion, I found that I had to spend the majority of my time looking at my feet. It is very important to stay alert for rocks, tree roots, mud puddles (which are very slippery), ant colonies, and (more importantly) snakes. All around us was the breathtaking beauty of a wild and tropical land, bursting with green foilage and blue skies... and I spent my time looking at my feet. Now, I don't know if it is just me, and I will just get used to it with time and be able to look up more... I hope so... but, for now this was my viewpoint.
It occurred to me, especially since I am now preparing to teach this next semesters course on Human Development, that when life is consumed with the critical need to just survive and NOT die...one's focus tends to be on the here and now... your next step... your feet - and as a result, you miss out on so much of the beauty and blessing the God surrounds you with every day. In the Human development class, it is more of a focus on Maslow's Hierarchy of needs; the premise that until your basic needs are met (food, clothing, and shelter) you have no thought to pursue ideals or fulfillment. That is very real here, where the focus is on surviving and having food for the day, not the interior decorating of your house or whether or not you are happy in your job. These things are irrelevant.
Spiritually, it has a huge significance. We (or at least I) can get lost in the here and now, watching our feet, making sure that nothing bad happens... but guess what... "in this world we WILL have trouble...but be not dismayed... God's Word will be a lamp onto our feet... so, lift up your eyes to the hills, for that is where your strength comes from.... for I (Jesus) have overcome the world..."

Gives you something to think about doesn't it. I think I am going to be chewing on this one for a while. :)
How many blessings did YOU miss today... just because you weren't paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment